Thursday, May 14, 2009

Religion-Decision

Because saying I'm a Christian is so general, I want to characterize it. I'm not claimed by religion. I was raised non-denominational. If I leaned towards anything, I'd have to say it was baptist. I was raised in private schools, in a faith based church going family. My mom divorced my dad because she found God, and he never did. My aunt was a missionary. I didn't enter public schools until I was in middle school. We attended church religiously every Wed. and Sunday. Every summer my brother and I readily and happily enjoyed christian camp. I learned how to recite the books of the bible in order in Awana. I was the epitome of Christianity. But what does that really mean?? I never cussed, I didn't scrutinize people, I attended church, I tithed, I knew the books of the bible, and could quote chapter and verse. I was proud to say I was a christian. All my friends were christians. I proudly wore a cross around my neck, and talked of God to friends as if he were a close friend. I knew God, and never wavered on my path.

But see, that was the problem. I was born in to this life. I didn't have to find it on my own. I knew God, but never had a close personal relationship with him. The chapters and verses in the bible were spoke from thought, not my heart. I was sheltered. I later learned how weak my faith was when it was tested. See, I never really KNEW God, I just knew of him. Two totally different things.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I could have written this post myself with all of the similarities. I know I have spoken words very similar to your last paragraph when I have explained my journey as well. I like to say I knew God in my head, but now in my heart!

    ReplyDelete